15 Powerful Self Discovery Questions You Need to Ask Yourself Now
Last Updated on 2 years by Iva Ursano
To say that 2020 kicked us all hard in the ass is an understatement. It had us all wondering just what the heck are we supposed to do now. Especially those of us who lost our jobs and our income. If you’re in that position and not sure what to do next read on as I have a list of 15 self discovery questions that will help you get back on track.
What’s my purpose?
Did you find yourself asking this a lot? What’s my purpose?
What the hell am I here for?
What’s it all for?
When will this all end?
What the heck do I do now?
Me too, my friend, me too. Especially in October 2020 when my entire business collapsed. Ooph. What a kicker that was. I spent a whole month crying and feeling sorry for myself wondering what the hell is it all for anyway.
You can read more about that here.
My self discovery journey
While I was wallowing in self pity for an entire month I spent an awful lot of time asking myself some self discovery questions. What are you doing Iva? Why are you doing it? What are you gonna do now? What’s next Iva?
My self discovery journey was tough af. I had no answers. I felt numb from the crash of my business. It was such a huge blow and I honestly didn’t know how I was going to recover from it, if at all.
One day I sat down with a journal and pen and had to reevaluate my entire life, my whole existence. The “who what where when why and how”. It was tough but I had no other choice.
I had nothing left, again, and had hit rock bottom, yet again. The only way for me to go was up. But I needed to do some self discovery to help me on my way.
15 Self Discovery Questions You Need to Ask Yourself
Before we get into the 15 self reflection questions you should ask yourself, you might be interested in this short little self discovery worksheet that can guide you on the right path in life.
Self Discovery Questions
- What do I love to do? Like what seriously fills your heart with immense joy every time you do it? If it’s playing with puppies and kittens so be it! It doesn’t matter what it is or how silly you think it is. If it brings you great joy, that’s part of your plan.
- What do I not love doing? And while this seems like an odd and random question you have to stop and ask yourself this. If you don’t love doing something, then why do you spend so much time doing it?
- When do I feel most at peace? What things bring you to a state of calmness, peace, harmony, balance and love? Are you doing enough of these things?
- Who do I love spending time with? Aside from your children, grandchildren and other family members, do you love being with seniors or maybe developmentally disabled youth or adults? Maybe you just love hanging around brand new babies!
- What am I supposed to be doing? This is a bit of a tough question because so many of us already know the answer, we simply ignore it. We know what we’re supposed to be doing but we’re too afraid to do it.
- What do I want from my life in one year? Now while this may be tough to answer because no one knows what’s up next for us in 2021, you still have some control over your life and your goals. Where do you want to be in one year’s time?
- What about me do I not love? Do you have character traits that are somewhat annoying, that may even annoy you? Are there some things you can definitely work on improving?
- Am I making enough time for joyful things? Like spending enough time with people you love and make you happy or are you avoiding them because you’re always “too busy”? Are you having as much fun as you should be having?
- Am I making enough time for myself? To just sit and chill in silence and reflect on the day or work or even yourself and your life. Are you making time for you or are you too busy trying to please everyone around you?
- What’s one thing that is causing me a lot of stress right now? Is it a spouse, child, coworker, family member or maybe your job? Is there something you can do about it and should do about it?
- Do I like who I am? This is a tough question too. Think about it. Do you like the person you’ve become? Would you like you if you met you? I’ll admit, I can be borderline annoying but I do like me. What about you?
- Am I spending enough time on personal growth? Are you learning, growing, evolving, spiritually, emotionally, physically or are you just staying the same every day?
- Am I holding on to too many grudges? Hurt and anger from your past. Are you holding on to it and letting it boil and stew inside of you? Will you not forgive the person who hurt you and let go?
- Do I generally feel happy with my life? Are you the least bit happy ever or do you always feel doom and gloom and great sadness? What parts of your life do bring you happiness?
- Can I do what it takes to change my life and be happy? Can you? Do you think you can’t? There’s a great quote by Henry Ford “whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way, you’re right”. So, can you do what it takes to change your life?
You may like this 21 day life changing challenge workbook. I created this challenge two years ago and people still rave about it! Click here to check it out and grab your copy now or click the image below.
Questions to ask yourself
Now while those 15 self discovery questions were damn good ones, and a bit hard too, there are so many more questions to ask yourself when you’re trying to figure out just what the heck you are here for.
You can check out this video I found on YouTube about self reflection questions you should ask yourself. I really enjoyed this video.
And here are a few more questions to ask yourself as part of your self discovery journey.
- Am I doing the best I can?
- What’s it all for?
- What do I want to be remembered for, if anything?
- Can I serve others more?
- Can I serve myself more?
I mean, honestly, there are probably a million questions we can all ask ourselves so to say this question or that question is the most important, well you just can’t do that.
Every self reflection question is important when you’re trying to figure out your life and what you want from it. Let’s face it, we’re not here just to exist and then die. I mean, you can do that if you want but that seems like a pointless life, to me anyway.
I don’t think it’s so much about finding your purpose as it is to just find what makes you happy and what makes your life worth living. What gets you excited to jump out of bed in the morning.
There’s a great quote by Mary Oliver that goes like this:
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?Mary Oliver
So…What do you plan to do with your one precious life?
xo iva xo
You can find me now over on YouTube blabbing about all kinds of fun things on my new channel. Click here to check it out and subscribe!
Or you can catch the weekly Angel Card Readings here on this channel.
If you love what I do and if I’ve helped or inspired you in any way shape or form, please hit the pretty button below and buy me a coffee. A simple way to say “Thank you Iva, you’re awesome and I love you!”