10 Reasons You’re Not Going to Reach Your Goals This Year
Last Updated on 1 month by Tony T
So last year was a crap year for many of us, amirite? You can read more about my miserable year here:
Ya. So anyway.
Goal setting for 2018
Totally didn’t exist. Oh wait, I set goals, I just didn’t achieve any of them. The whole year was a disaster. A complete write-off.
In the last two weeks of December however, things finally started shifting for me. Phew. It was a beautiful end to what I’m going to label “The Worst F****** Year of My Life”. It gave me hope that things were going to be ok and that I was on the right track. I even remember whispering to myself one night “yes iva, you are going to reach your goals after all”.
I had to revisit 2018 to see what wrong. Though much of it was personal I discovered a lot of it had to do with the 10 things I’m going to share with you here.
The one thing I discovered was that there was a mindset pattern.
Here we go…
10 reasons you’re not going to reach your goals this year
Topping the list is:
1. You don’t believe you can actually reach your goals.
Seriously. You set a goal, you looked at it, and you thought a lot about it and how to do it, but you stopped there. You know it’s going to be hard to reach it, maybe it’s even going to take a lot of work that you’re not used to doing. You really don’t believe you can reach your goals but looking at it makes you feel good.
- Why bother setting a goal if you don’t believe in yourself? What’s the point? Do you not want to reach it? Of course, you do. You need to start believing that you can!! So many of us have had limiting beliefs plugged in since childhood that leave us feeling unworthy and full of self-doubt. It’s time to shut those voices up, pull up your big girl/boy panties and remind yourself “YOU CAN DO THIS”.
2. You’re too scared of success.
Yup, you are. Who wouldn’t be? Success is scary! We don’t even know what it feels or tastes like. We are terrified of the unknown. Success is the unknown. You truly wish to be standing on stage with Dean Grasiozi or Brendon Burchard (or whoever your idol is), you dream it, almost taste it, but man it sure is scary. Or maybe you want to be a best-selling author. That’s scary!
- Do you not feel you deserve success? Do you think you’re not good enough or grand enough to be on stage with your idols? Do you not want success? Of course, you do and you are good enough!! Anyone who truly wants to be standing on stage giving a keynote speech alongside some of the greats most certainly can. If you run away from success all the time because of fear, when will you ever reach your goals?
3. You lack focus and clarity.
Mm hmm. You know what you want, and you know you want to reach your goals, but you have no clear path to get there or you can’t actually even conceptualize it. It’s like you’re drawing on an Etch A Sketch. Or maybe you’re a squirrel like me? Or maybe you have shiny object syndrome? You have no focus, never have, and possibly never will but…
- You have GOT to write your goal out and take some time to jot down the action steps you need to take to make it happen. You will have to do research and be clear on how you want your goal to manifest. Take notes, and write your goal out on a big bristle board (or whiteboard) so you can look at it daily!! Don’t be wishy-washy with your ideas or visualization. See it exactly how you want it and then do what you have to do to get there!
4. You‘re listening to the wrong people.
Not everyone knows what they’re talking about. Not only that, you’re gonna have people tell you your idea is dumb or it won’t work. Even the gurus sometimes don’t have all the answers. Stop believing or listening to everyone. Remember, some people secretly don’t even want you to reach your goals or succeed and will pay top dollar for front-row seats to watch you fall.
- It can be overwhelming reading blogs and following masters who have already done what we want to do (which is why it’s important to find one or two you truly admire). There is a shit ton of information out there and you may find yourself drowning in information overload (another way we lose our focus). Follow your heart, and your gut, and don’t get overwhelmed. Keep your focus. Oh, and ignore the peeps who don’t want you to succeed. They’re just jealous of you.
5. You won’t step out of your comfort zone
Nothing good comes from your comfort zone. But you already knew that right? I get that the comfort zone is a really cozy and safe place to be, but….ya. You can’t stay there, no matter how much you want to. Your goal will force you to do things you are terrified of doing or maybe don’t want to do. So how do you expect to reach your goals in your comfort zone?
Let’s look at my life for one second here just as a small example.
I wanted to not retire as a hairstylist in Northern Ontario Canada. I wanted freedom and warm winters. I had to learn a new skill (freelance writing to be exact) and then leave 53 yrs of my life behind to travel to a third-world country I knew nothing about. In order for me to reach the goals I had to force myself to do things that made me extremely uncomfortable.
Good bye comfort zone.
- You have got to be courageous, take a big deep breath, and do things you normally wouldn’t do in order to achieve your goals. Some of the things may make you feel really uncomfortable and scared AF. Do them anyway. You won’t get anywhere and you won’t reach your goals if you don’t take chances.
6. You’re too scared
7. You don’t believe in yourself
8. You’re too scared
9. You don’t believe in yourself
10. You’re too scared
Ok, so there weren’t really 10 reasons. There were only 5 but two of them needed to be repeated again and again.
I want you to look at your fear. I want you to look at your self-doubt.
I want you to look at both of them long and hard and find out where they are coming from, deal with the issues they stem from, and get your shit done! You are not here for mediocrity. You are here for greatness.
How long are you gonna keep hanging on to those limiting beliefs and this fear? They haven’t served you any purpose up to now and chances are they won’t tomorrow or next month or next year. You have GOT to get rid of them.
You have GOT to declare ‘this is it!! You have GOT to push forward in faith, self-confidence, determination, and trust, knowing you DO deserve greatness!
Stop thinking that your goal or desire is too big for you. Stop messing around! If you can dream it and see it, you can have it and be it (except you can’t be a Unicorn).
I love you ❤
Peace and Love
xo iva xo
Lovely read! I do agree with you in most of the points.
Thank you so much for reading :)
I love reading your words of inspiration!
I agree with you, it’s so hard if not impossible for me to get out of my own way. Fear and not believing in me are so true. But the irony is I’m not satisfied with my life so I have to walk through the fear. Keep writing you’re very helpful. Amy
Thank you so much Amy! I appreciate your kind words xo